Tuesday 8 September 2009

The Undertones

















I went to see the Undertones at Bingley on Friday with Paul. They were really good. Apparently the only one missing is Fergal Sharkey and his replacement sounds just like him. In fact in a strange sort of way he even looks like how I would have imagined Fergal Sharkey to be thirty years on from his heyday. Imagined that is if I hadn’t seen Fergal Sharkey on the telly recently looking a whole lot different to the new boy.

A few years ago I was working with a bloke who I once described as looking like ‘George Best’s Dad’. This was despite him being a good ten years younger than George Best was at that time. It was just that he looked like an aged version of the 1960’s George Best. Anyway, this isn’t going anywhere, I just thought I’d mention it.

The Undertones did very well, played all their hits and we drank quite a lot whilst we watched them. Last time I saw the O’Neill brothers with Paul must have been at least 25 years ago at Sunderland Poly when they were trading as That Petrol Emotion. We unsuccessfully tried to steal a JCB from a building site on the way home that night. This time we behaved ourselves as far as I can remember. That’s ageing for you. So, highly recommended. The Undertones that is, not ageing. Although I suppose it’s better than the alternative.

I was going to put up a picture of The Undertones, but The Corrs are from the same part of the world and are a little easier on the eye.

2 comments:

  1. The Undertones were 'good' is hardly a gig review. I'll post my review of the same gig tomorrow. It's already written and the difference is quite amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet my picture is better though.

    ReplyDelete