Thursday 10 September 2009

Product - Insulated Food Container


I’m quite a faddy eater, not so much in terms of what I eat, but in the lack of variation. I tend to find something that I like and then eat it repeatedly until I become sick of it and then I don’t eat it any more. When I was about thirteen I ate a tin of ravioli every evening for my tea. After about a year (and no doubt just after my parents had stocked up on a couple of dozen tins) I decided that I didn’t like tinned ravioi any longer and I switched my allegiance to hot dogs. A year or so later, tired of pigs lips and eyelids, I moved on to date sandwiches. I can measure my childhood by my eating habits in the way that some of us measure our lives by dogs, houses, partners or World Cups.

My current predilection is for cooking my lunch before I go to work. I used to bring sandwiches but I’ve gone off them. When I was a kid, my Mam always made me tinned salmon sandwiches if I was going on a trip anywhere. I probably got a badge in the cubs for being posh because of them. Even now I can’t eat them without wondering why I’m not at Captain Cook’s Monument, Beamish Open Air Museum or Flamingo Land.

However, these days lunch usually involves a couple of chicken breasts or a piece of lamb, accompanied by a tray of what Asda describe as ‘Mediterranean Vegetables’. Nice and easy, I put the two trays in the oven when I get up and half an hour later tip the contents into my lunch box and leave for work. Generally, however, my lunch is cold by lunch time. I’m not one for hanging around the microwave so I thought I’d try and find an insulated container, a bit like a thermos flask, but lunch box shape and size. Not easy, but I managed it as you can see from the above picture. I did look for a picture of a girl in a bikini holding a lunchbox, but the adult content filter at work deemed that to be a bit much.

Anyway, does it work? No, not really. It doesn’t have a very tight seal and so not only does the food cool rapidly, but I’m quite likely to get gravy everywhere if I don’t keep it upright. And so the search goes on, at least until such time as my tastes switch back to the date sandwiches.

6 comments:

  1. That's cracking......I doff my cap to you Sir

    ReplyDelete
  2. much more interesting than Calypso. And even though you moved that back up to the top of the list, I'm still not going to comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought he only ate pork pies and drank skinny water.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a great time at the festival Andy, look forward to a review of something better than the Calypso song.....Not

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you'll find that a hot dog has more in common with a chicken than a pig! Look on the label - they are made from mechanically extracted leftovers of a chicken carcass - sort of hosed down to get the juicy bits off!

    ReplyDelete
  6. End Of The Road review coming next week. Sunny every day!

    ReplyDelete